Forget about putting down the cigarettes, the alcohol, stopping those sleepless nights banging away at that novel or screenplay, with chips, donuts or whatever strewn everywhere (forget about losing weight as well).
Hold on to your bad habits and keep writing because you have one and only one resolution as a writer:
I resolve to finish what I am writing in the New Year.
Everything else has to wait. This is the year you as a writer will have the moment, the one and only moment to hold however many pages it took to write the words
There is no other feeling like it. So how do you get there?
Here are 5 ways to stick to your resolve and make it happen in 2013.
Tell yourself you will finish your book IF,
1. …every time you look in a MIRROR you tell the person you see the following: “The world is waiting for your words”. I know most people see themselves in a mirror more than once every day and the constant reinforcement of why writers write should come from the source.
2. …at least once a day you think of the word ACME. The Roadrunner would be set upon by Wiley coyote and at the moment the coyote was about to catch the fleet bird, out of the sky a bank safe would fall, crushing poor Wiley. The name on the safe was ACME Safe Co. Think of a big safe falling on anything in your way to reaching your goal. No excuses, no coyotes. You are the Roadrunner.
3. …you have GUTS. Pure and simple. You may call it courage, bravery, stamina. What would Hemingway call it?
4. …you ask yourself everyday what are your INTENTIONS for this book. Make its future real; create the world in which you sign copies at a bookstore, get interviewed by a well-known TV personality, and continue to produce book after book until your name is a household word.
5. …you CAPTURE a scene’s worth of writing every day, just one simple scene. Use all of them or only some, but capture every scene you see in your head and put it on paper. Before you know it, those scenes will add up to an entire novel.
There you have it: 5 ways to make that New Year’s Resolution stick.
Mirror Give yourself a meaningful message
Acme The big old safe will crush your obstacles
Guts Papa H knows you got ‘em
Intentions Make sure they are clear and strong
Capture A scene every day
Think M A G I C to help you remember.
And there is magic in what we do. Don’t forget that above all.
Now keep writing and Happy New Year!
Remember to sign up for my upcoming free video on how to write a compelling scene at